Monday, July 20, 2009

Celeriac

Imagine my surprise (or don't) when I discovered that celery was once a delicacy, and special dishware was created to display your prized vegetable. While I dutifully chop celery for traditional Creole and Cajun recipes, I've never been a huge fan. Enter celeriac. It's not very popular in the US, but the corner store near my apt in Montreal sells celeriac, so I had to give it a try. I've made it several ways, including diced and quickly sauteed in olive oil with fresh sage leaves as well as in a root vegetable mash, with Yukon gold potatoes, olive oil, thyme, sea salt, freshly ground pepper, some chicken stock, and a slosh of whole milk. It's also good raw. Celeriac is yummy, very healthy, and deserves a higher profile on our tables. Here's to one of my new favorite vegetables.

Here's a photo of the celeriac mash:



Salut.

No comments: